The Wait is Over, Winter is Here!
Time to start thinking about going skiing again I think! Well that is if you haven't started already.
With the Summer months fast disappearing behind the shorter days and the chillier mornings it can only mean one thing which is "Winter Is Coming"! (sorry i could not help myself.) The silver lining behind this is that the 7-8 months of the Northern Hemisphere Ski Season is starting or about to.
Across Europe right now there are a handful of Glacier Resorts which have already started the lifts and opened the pistes to keen pre-pre season skiers. At this time of year you are skiing on what is left of the glacier after a 4 warm months of Freeze'n'Thaw and some fresh snow but it is no less exhilerating as Summer Skiing or Full Winter Skiing. The chances of fresh powder are high as the weather changes are in full flow and you are skiing in the higher parts of the Alpes looking across the valleys with very defined snow lines.
Resorts open now as of 6th October 2016 are:
- Kaunertal Glacier, Austria
- Pitzal Glacier, Austria
- Solden, Austria
- Moelltal Glacier, Austria
- Hintertux Glacier, Austria
- Kitzerhorn, Austria
- Stubai Glacier, Austria
- Tignes, France
- Zermatt, Switzerland
- Saas Fee, Switzerland
- Val Senales Glacier, Italy
While Austria has the most skiing in Europe at the moment that it is all about to change. There are number of resorts about to open in the next couple of weeks so we thought that we would put the opening dates of a few of them here:
- Ruka, Finland is opening 10/10/2016
- Engelberg, Switzerland is opening 15/10/2016
- Kitzbuhel, Austria is opening 22/10/2016
- Les Deux, Alpes, France is opening 22/10/2016 until 01/11/2016
- Diavolezza, Switzerland is opening 22/10/2016
- Arosa, Switzerland is opening 29/10/2016
- Zugspitze, Germany is opening 05/11/2016
- Laax/Flims, Switzerland is opening 05/11/2016
- Verbier/4 Vallees, France is opening 05/11/2016
- Obergurgl/Hochgurgl, Austria is opening 17/11/2016
- Ischgl/Samnaun, Austria/Switzerland is opening 24/11/2016
- Les 3 Vallees, France is opening on 26/11/2016
- Baqueira/Beret, Spain is opening on 26/11/2016
- St. Anton, Austria is opening on 02/12/2016
- Alpe d'Huez, France is opening on 02/12/2016
Keep checking back to see what resorts are opening soon.
Remember to buy your Drysure Extreme Boot Dryers before you go.
The picture below is of Kaunertal Glacier, Austria.
The video below is of the TEAM USA training on the Fee Glacier.
Leave a comment: